Skip to content Skip to footer
Mon - Fri 8:00AM - 4:00PM / Sat: Upon Request / Sun: Closed
256 Chapman Road, Suite 106 Newark DE 19702

Mold Toxicity

What is mold toxicity?

When a building has experienced water damage, mold growth will occur in the structure within 72 hours. This growth may or may not be visible nor have an odor. Some individuals become very ill from mold toxins, also known as mycotoxins, which are poisons to the body. The time from exposure to when someone feels unwell can vary from minutes to days. Although mold is more commonly known in water damaged buildings, there are other organisms that also grow with increased humidity and water intrusion such as Fungus and a bacterial organism known as Actinomyces.

Diagnosing mold toxicity

Diagnoses for mold toxicity should encompass a past and/or current water damage building exposure. Evaluating the home for Mycotoxins, Endotoxins and Actinomyces will ensure all water damage organisms are identified. Lab testing can help indicate the immune response and inflammation present. Some of the labs are not exclusive to water damage exposure and may also be abnormal with other environmental illnesses such as tick borne disease.

What are the symptoms of mold toxicity?

Symptoms of Mold toxicity include:

  • Fatigue
  • Joint pain
  • Brain fog
  • Frequent urination
  • Headache
  • Shortness of breath
  • Mood swings
  • Vertigo
  • Unusual skin sensations
  • Blurred vision

How to treat mold toxicity

Treatment of mold toxicity must begin with eliminating the exposure whether it be remediating a water damaged home or work environment. Often, this first step takes the longest amount of time to accomplish. From there, eliminating the toxins from the body is crucial to begin healing. This may include treatment of organisms within the sinus and nasal passages. Ensuring a clean environment will prevent someone from a recurrence of symptoms. Treatment services available include: